Speaking about my passion for handbells is when my soul sings the most and my heart is fullest. I love to share the story of how handbells changed the trajectory of my life, the lessons playing has given me that I’ve applied to other areas of my life, and the encouragement and inspiration that we can all have that thing that lights us up inside, even when we have to work for it.
Finally, speaking on mental health is a cause close to my heart. Having lived with depression and anxiety for most of my life and having had the privilege of working with several mental health nonprofits, I understand the importance of sharing our stories, educating others, and eliminating the stigma surrounding mental illness. To that end, I speak to groups about various mental health topics as well as provide training as a Mental Health First Aid Trainer.
Whether guest lecturing, instructing on important topics, or sharing my story, my authenticity allows me to be relevant to audiences of varying sizes and needs. I grab audiences with my use of humor and light-hearted stories no matter the topic. Recently, I appeared on Dirt Road Divinity: Scenic Route of the Soul to share how I got to where I am today.
I’m available to speak to your group on the following topics:
As a nonprofit author and speaker, I walk new leaders through these challenges, helping to navigate the maze of starting and running a nonprofit organization that marries the ideas of big, giving hearts with successful business practices. I would love to come speak to your organization and share what I’ve learned. Let me know what your organization needs or check out some suggested topics below.
WHAT EVERY NONPROFIT CAN LEARN FROM THE BUSINESS SECTOR
Engage your heart-centered mission, empowered with strategic thinking, to help your organization thrive. This talk is geared toward nonprofit employees and leaders to help your organization avoid the common pitfalls and learn how to become more efficient, improve communication, and create greater and more consistent revenue.
During this talk, participants will gain a greater understanding of and key takeaways to help you and your organization improve:
- Operational Efficiency: Learn how to develop systems and processes to help your nonprofit grow with greater ease, even with limited resources.
- Communication: Learn how to make the best impression with external parties and donors so that your mission is conveyed professionally and your nonprofit is properly positioned to attract and retain funding and support.
- Making money like a for-profit business: Donors and public funding are key components for most nonprofits, however, they are not the only sources of funding. Learn not only how to diversify and strengthen your revenue streams for greater financial stability, but also how to improve communications to strengthen donor-relations.
Building Support & Avoiding Burnout
During this talk, participants will learn healthy foundational strategies to ensure longevity in your career, including:
- Boundaries: Drop the perfectionism and learn how to embrace a work-life flow to empower longevity in your career. Learn how to create leave-time policies and work hour boundaries that empower both you and your colleagues to maintain balance.
- Develop Appreciation + a Nurturing Culture: As a nonprofit, your organization puts its mission and clients first, and it’s equally important to show appreciation and enhance happiness inside the organization. Learn how to curate community and culture on limited resources.
- Personal Community: Understand the importance of developing friendships, personal, and professional support communities outside of your nonprofit work community.
Additional Nonprofit Topics:
Mission, Vision, Goals, and Strategy
Basic Fundraising & Grant Writing
Nonprofit Leadership: Boards and Staff
Most Common Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
Other potential topics on request
I would love nothing more than to come share my story with your handbell choir, musical group, or book club. I can barely contain my enthusiasm when I am ringing, speaking about, and sharing about handbells, and I’d be thrilled to speak about the book with you. In addition, I’m available to speak on the topics below.
Speaking topics for Handbells
WHAT FALLING IN LOVE WITH HANDBELLS TAUGHT ME ABOUT PASSION
Come be inspired by the unlikely way that finding a passion changed the trajectory of my life and how the power of music and handbells taught me to seek out what makes my soul sing. Learn how your life can be more joyous and fulfilling when you eliminate the obstacles between you and your passion.
CONDUCTORS AND CONNECTION: DEFINING A GREAT CONDUCTOR
THE DETAILS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE: STAGE PRESENCE FOR HANDBELL ENSEMBLES
MAINTAINING RINGER’S MOTIVATION: TIPS & TRICKS
MOVING FROM “WE RING” TO “WE ARE A COMMUNITY ENSEMBLE”
Because of the impact that mental health organizations have had on providing education and reducing stigma, they inspired me to become a certified Mental Health First Aid Trainer as a way to give back to the community. In this role, I’m available to provide full-day trainings as a part of a nationally accredited course that allows others to learn about mental health conditions and how to help those who might be experiencing emotional or substance use crisis while becoming certified in Mental Health First Aid themselves.
Please connect with me here to discuss hosting a Mental Health First Aid Training for your organization or community.
I am also available to speak with your group about my personal experiences as a mother and professional, on the following mental health topics:
- Struggles with Anxiety and Depression: Seeking Help and Self-Care Strategies
- Parenting with Mental Health Struggles: Strategies to Care for Both You and Them
- Understanding the Stigma around Mental Illness and How You Can be Part of the Solution
- Strategies for supporting Your Own Mental Health
“What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.”
– Glenn Close
Sign up for Hillary’s monthly message:
Music, Minutiae, and Musings